Sunday, May 25, 2008

Is this Chennai????

Well, was'nt yesterday an interesting experience in my life. I went to the Chepauk stadium, after a gap of seven years to watch a between CSK and RR. I won't go into the changes there because i have no inkling of an idea of how the stadium looked in my tender years.

I'll let you in on one thing that completely blew me off my feet. Left me speechless. Stupified me. Clean stumped me. Oh, and let me assure you it was'nt the cheerleaders (Its a sad story, this part, i'll leave it till the end.) As young and carefree Chennaites we know the in-spots - Citi centre, spencers, satyam...(Those who did'nt follow me, there's an exceedingly good chance you won't be able to follow the next part. And you people would definitely be knowing about the preciousness of time, so why not give the next part a miss? ) Well, who would have thought that Chepauk would stand a chance against these abodes of - well, u know.(They are not much of one, but its the best we've got). I had come back from banglore only that morning- so don't put notions of over-exaggeration in your minds when i say Chepauk could have given Banglore a run for its money. You could make this connection - Chepauk as the CSK and Banglore as the RR. No matter how hard CSK try, they can never beat the RR, who somehow manage to be one step higher, but we all agree that it was a close fought contest.

There was the usual crowd, what u'd expect if you hold a cricket match here. But interspersed frequently, in fact too frequently for chennai's standards, were objects of attraction that you would normally associate with Banglore. I'm not complaining, only taken aback !! Anyway its good, ain't it?

Coming to the match, i'd say it was one of the best of the IPL. It had a bit of everything in the right measures. RR had a blazing start, thanks to Asnodkar and Smith. Then CSK managed to pull it back in the middle overs. I'll pause and add - 'a little bit'. After all they did manage to post 211. Well we had the usual start, Fleming running himself out (He probably did a Ganguly, getting out when the going gets tough).
Patel made a half-century (surprise), but he more than made up for his good deed by getting out at the most inoppurtune moment. Some say he was brave, some say he had no other choice, i say he was an imbecile - taking on Shane Warne of all people and in an over where Morkel had already scored 13 runs.
By god, it was worth going there just to see Morkel in action - the ease with which he clears the ropes is astounding. And he's so cool and calm under pressure. He's a Klusner in the making all right.

That's enough of an overview of the match. Moving on.....

Yes the cheerleaders part....sad..sad... I was lucky to be in a stand right behind where the RR cheerleaders were to perform. (This is for those who have'nt been to an IPL match. The cheerleaders dais are arranged like this - two on either side of the pitch, and of opposing teams.). I was happy- i mean imagine being stuck behind the CSK cheerleaders, them and their winter clothing !! But it was'nt to be. The heat was quite intense and i suppose they were'nt quite made for our weather. Well one of them got dehydrated and they shifted their base of operations to the opposite side of the ground. There went one interesting part of the match! I was there right behind them...... hmmmm...... But believe it or not when i went back up to the back rows ,my oh my, lotsa cheerleader material there on the stand ! Nice.... Chennai's come a long way - why oh why then do they not change the cheerleaders they have right now, lotsa local talent around u ppl.
But you got to give the CSK cheerleaders credit for their stamina and passion. They were up and waving and cheering , after every over, wicket, boundary. Not much the RR cheerleaders did, even though their team won, their counterparts did most of the cheering.

I got to admit - a window of opportunity opened, i slammed it shut ! I mean it was right there, in the most unlikely of places. I suppose i was least prepared for it - though i doubt if preparation really helps.I mean u need a sort of spontaenity, right? I wish I don't go around wasting such opportunities too much....( I'm just musing here, if u don't follow, don't worry- no verbal cluttery in these words, just thinking aloud my thoughts.)

Chennai's no longer a traditional place. Nor is it modern. I'd say its got a nice mix of both. And that makes a nice combination. Some say its a drab place- example would be a person whom i have given a testimonial and he is yet to reciprocate it. Well to all such guys out there - its there , u just got to open ur eyes a little wider, explore the place a bit more, don't give in to disappointment, u just have to try harder- chennai's a challenge. Relish it. Now i'd better sign off and disappear into oblivion before a certain section o' chennai comes searchin for me - with, i shudder to think what........ "oi, watch it, you . That thing's sharp, u might hurt someone....hey hey.... noooooooo.........."

2 comments:

RAHUL K said...

well u dont expect me to relish...slums of taramani nd all..but still it's ok..not that bad after all..but i always compared it to hyd!..so i was a bit shrewd on that...well nice one!
keep going!

Abhijit Kiran said...

Well done. But there is a tiny little problem... the post is xtra huge. I couldn't read more than a paragraph. No offense, but I think people will be more interested in smaller posts. That's my 2 cents